Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Favorite Recipe

I was giving an opportunity to write a guest post on a recipe. SO I thought I would take the time, write a post on my own blog and share it.

I knew right away what recipe to pick....didn't get the post written until now.....but the food choice was easy!  What is your favorite kind of food?? Any doubts? Did you have to think about it? I SURE didn't! 

I could easily live off of it... enchiladas, chips and salsa, tacos.....YES...you guessed it ~ MEXICAN food.

Tortillas, fajitas, margaritas...yummmmmy! Oh! And you can't leave out guacamole! I am getting hungry just thinking about it.  Do you have a favorite place to get that favorite food?? Locally, it is easy for me.  An hour from here North, yep ...got it. An hour from here South, yep got that too.  But if I had a helicopter, could go and come back in the same night....Yep I know that one too. LOL Ok, so you get it I am sure. I love Mexican food, could eat it ever day and know lots of good places to go. ...cough*cough*Pappasito's Cantina...cough*cough* So without further delay....I present to you....

Mexican Chicken 

4 whole chicken breasts (about 3 lbs.) *see note
1 sliced onion
2 or 3 carrots
2 stalks celery
1/2 cup milk
1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 can condensed cream of chicken soup
15 oz can of chili
4 oz. salsa
1 small onion, finely chopped
12 corn tortillas
1/2 lb shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 shredded Monterrey jack cheese
(Just buy the Fiesta shredded blend at Walmart and you got both cheeses and it is already shredded)

*For the chicken - I usually buy a 5lb bag of leg quarters (has great flavor) or the least expensive chicken with bones and skin.  You may use boneless/skinless chicken breasts. This does simplify the process but makes the chicken a little drier.  If you choose to use the breasts, you will not need the next step.  Simply cook the breasts thoroughly and cut into small pieces or shred the chicken. I would also recommend that it be boiled in chicken broth to help add more flavor. OR boil with the vegetables and create more flavor.
First: Slice 1 onion, carrots and celery and place in large pot with chicken. Bring chicken and vegetables to a boil for about 10 minutes.  Simmer for an additional 30 minutes and remove from heat.  Cool the chicken and remove the skin and bones.  Cut the meat into 1 inch pieces or shred.  Discard broth and vegetables or save for soup. 

Combined in a bowl: Milk, Cream of Mushroom and Chicken soup, chili, salsa and finely chopped onion. Mix well and set aside. 

Also have ready: Corn tortillas torn into small pieces and both kinds of shredded cheese.

In a 9x13 pan: Place a layer of half of the chicken and lightly salt.  Add half of the tortillas, next half of the sauce mixture and half of both kinds of cheese.  Repeat the layering making sure you end with the cheese.  Bake immediately at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.  Let stand 10 minutes before serving. 

Serves 10 but freezes/re-heats well for leftovers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There you have it! One of my families' favorite meals....until we learned that my son had a milk allergy.  Only took them 14 years to find what the problem was but that is a whole other blog post ;)....which I just decided was a great idea! 

No comments:

Post a Comment